Weather changes can cause many issues in cars. Since UAE witnesses extreme temperatures in summer, a vehicle may become subject to several problems, such as low fluid levels, engine heating or some systems malfunctioning. That said, learning about these vehicle issues can help determine the car problems at the earliest and fix them sooner.
Here are all the common car issues due to excessive heat and ways to fix them to avoid roadside emergencies.
Common Car Problems and Signs During Extreme Heat
Extreme summer temperatures can become a reason behind many common car problems. From car battery problems to tyre pressure changes, drivers may come across many car issues due to excessive heat. Moreover, a car engine may come under extra strain due to the car AC. That said, it causes the car to overheat and break down while driving.
You may look out for the following summer car problems and make necessary fixes to avoid such issues arising.
Car Overheating Issues in Summer
Cars can experience overheating issues more frequently during the summer due to the following factors:
- Using a car’s air conditioning more frequently adds to the workload of the cooling system.
- Frequent stopping and idling in traffic can restrict airflow to the radiator, reducing its cooling efficiency and leading to overheating.
- Driving with a low coolant level or incorrect mixture can hinder the cooling system’s effectiveness, causing several car issues due to excessive heat. That said, it becomes one of the reasons behind overheating car engines.
- Any existing problems with the cooling system, such as a malfunctioning thermostat, a faulty car radiator, a worn-out water pump, or a blocked coolant passage, can become more evident during the summer months due to the increased heat and workload.
- Not scheduling routine maintenance, such as failing to flush and replace the coolant at recommended intervals, can leave dust or rust deposits. It impedes coolant flow and results in overheating, particularly in hotter conditions.
Here’s how you can minimise the car overheating issue due to summer heat:
- Check coolant levels regularly and ensure the coolant mixture is correct.
- Inspect the cooling system for leaks, damaged hoses, or any visible issues.
- Keep the radiator and grille clean from debris to maintain proper airflow.
- Avoid heavy traffic or stop-and-go situations whenever possible.
- Consider using sunshades or parking in shaded areas to reduce heat buildup inside the car.
If you notice signs of fluctuating temperature gauge or steam coming from the engine bay, pull over to a safe location. Turn off the engine, and allow it to cool down before determining the issue. After that, seek professional help or roadside assistance.
Car Battery Failure
High temperatures can accelerate the chemical reactions within the battery. It leads to increased corrosion, fluid evaporation, and accelerated degradation of the battery’s internal components. Furthermore, it shortens the car battery life.
The car battery issue due to excessive heat can have the following impacts:
- High temperatures can cause the electrolyte inside the battery to evaporate and diminish the battery’s ability to hold a charge.
- When the battery becomes subject to high temperatures, it will not deliver the required power to start the engine. As a result, your vehicle won’t crank, or the car dies immediately after starting.
The reason behind your car battery draining can be extreme temperatures. However, the following ways will help avoid this car issue due to excessive heat:
- If electrolyte levels are low, carefully add distilled water according to the manufacturer’s recommendations to maintain proper electrolyte balance.
- Clean the battery terminals and connections since corroded terminals can increase resistance and contribute to heat buildup.
- Follow the manufacturer’s guidelines for battery maintenance, including periodic inspections and maintenance checks.
Tyre Pressure Problems
Hot pavement and prolonged exposure to high temperatures can increase tyre pressure, leading to a higher risk of tyre blowouts. Heat-related tire failures are common when your car has worn out or improperly inflated tyres.
Drivers may face the following car tyre issues due to heat:
- The air inside your car tyres expands when the temperature rises. It causes higher pressure in tyres, resulting in different types of tyre tread wears and uneven ride.
- The increased pressure causes an uneven tyre’s structure, making it more susceptible to failure. It eventually results in a tyre blowout.
You can follow the tips to maintain the car tyres during summer. Moreover, when choosing from different types of car tyres, you can opt for summer tyres since they have better efficiency in hot temperatures.
Air Conditioning Issues
A car’s air conditioning system may struggle to cool the cabin in extreme heat due to various factors, including low refrigerant levels, a malfunctioning car AC compressor, or a faulty cooling fan.
Here are a few issues that become cause of weak car AC that may occur due to excessive heat:
- Higher temperatures can cause the AC refrigerant to overheat and become less effective at absorbing heat. If the refrigerant levels are low or there is a leak in the system, it may compromise the cooling capacity.
- Hot air from outside can infiltrate the poorly insulated space, making it harder for the air conditioner to maintain a comfortable temperature.
It is necessary to maintain an air conditioning system for the convenience of travllers and to avoid child heat stroke in cars during summer. Besides regular maintenance, check HVAC problems and insulate the cabin properly to ensure an effective and efficient air conditioning system.
Several fluids in a car’s system expand and leak under high temperatures. You can identify the fluid leak from colours. A few essential car fluids that can leak due to extreme temperatures are:
- Engine oil
- Power steering fluid
- Transmission fluid
- Brake fluid
When the fluids start leaking, you can check the hoses, gaskets and coolant systems. Moreover, regular car maintenance schedules and inspections can help mitigate the risk of car fluids leakage.
The fuel can vaporise, causing drivability issues or even stalling. This problem is more prevalent in older cars or those with poorly insulated fuel lines. You will require a professional mechanic to diagnose your car’s fuel system properly.
That concludes the most common car issues due to excessive heat. Your car can catch fire when the temperature is too high. That said, you can take your vehicle to a professional mechanic for inspection before the peak summer arrives.
Ensure checking all the common car problems when buying a used car for sale in the UAE. You can take advantage of dubizzle’s inspection services and learn about vehicle problems beforehand. Moreover, you can prepare your car for summer and avoid breakdown or vehicle system failure due to excessive heat.
Stay tuned to the dubizzle autos blog to learn more about problems in a car and how to fix them.